James Remillard charms guests while selling refreshments on the upper deck of Chicago's First Lady boats, and you might catch him at Soldier Field selling hot dogs! Ask him about his domino set that went to the moon!
1. Tell us about your most interesting job.
I was a landscape foreman at 18 years old and I was able to hire my own crews every day. I would load my truck up with my friends: guys, girls, whoever wanted to work that day. We would get done early and spend the rest of the day at the beach. A really good time.
3. What is your favorite building on the tour and why?
I have always wanted to go up in Lake Point Tower, with views of both the lake and the river. It's an apartment building that stands alone because of a loophole in the law prohibiting buildings east of Lakeshore Drive.
4. What is the most adventurous thing you've ever done?
I am scared of helicopters, but I conquered my fear and rode in one.
5. Where in Chicago are your favorite places to...
Unwind: The United Center
Experience the great outdoors: Oak Street Beach, I love the lakefront!
Play tourist for the day: Going to the Museum Campus for the day and seeing a concert that night. The skyline is so beautiful from there.
6. Tell us about a memorable experience on the job at Chicago's First Lady.
I often say "beerman, beerman!" as guests come aboard. A guest named Ms. Beerman came up to me with her identification card and said she thought that I was calling her! We both laughed.
7. If you had to eat just one meal for the rest of your life, what would it be?
Shrimp on a deep dish pizza.
8. What is something that people are surprised to learn about you?
I have a domino set that went to the Moon! It belonged to Neil Armstrong, the commander of Apollo 11. The dominoes were brought along to play with Buzz Aldrin and Michael Collins. They played Moon Dominoes, which is three-handed.
9. What are three passions of yours?
Music concerts and traveling: I go to the Wisconsin Dells and Las Vegas every year; and collecting Hall of Fame sports rookie cards.
Be sure to say hello to James, a sales associate on the upper deck on weekends!