HR manager, dog walker, amateur chef, and pottery artist: is there anything Sherell Hollis CAN'T do? Find out in this week’s Feature Friday!
1. Why did you become a human resources manager?
My passion has always been to enrich the lives of hard workers by building an inclusive and engaging workplace. At Chicago’s First Lady, I get to do this! Amy (our HR Director) and I wear many hats and no two days are the same. For instance, one day, I am project-based, researching, and working to implement new ways to enhance our employee experience. The next day, I am doing talent strategy looking for ways to attract and maintain our amazing talent. I get to be a problem solver, customer service, and guidance counselor all in one place. Ha!
I look forward to hiring more awesome people, and we are currently working on a cool project that I think our employees will love.
3. As a child, what did you want to do when you “grew up”?
I always wanted to be an attorney and dress up in fancy suits. Haha, I watched way too many movies with my aunt, and as a kid, I was obsessed with the notion of “going to work.”
4. What are some passions of yours?
I enjoy reading a good book. I also enjoy other activities like pottery, cooking classes, and anything else that includes a glass of wine and a good belly laugh.
5. What is the most adventurous thing you've ever done?
Sleeping in the Dubai desert overnight with friends. The moon was big and beautiful, that’s something I will never forget.
6. Where is the next destination on your travel wish list?
Hmm, so many places! I want to visit Sedona. I’ve always wanted to hike, meditate, and watch the sunset. Fingers crossed.
7. Where in Chicago is your favorite place to experience the great outdoors?
Walking along the lake or in a park or forest preserve is therapeutic for me. When I need to destress, I walk to the lake, take out my Airpods and practice meditation using this amazing application called Calm. If that fails, I blast Beyoncé and dance by myself along the trail.
8. What’s something about Chicago that is a “hidden gem” of yours?
I love cooking classes! I frequent both the Wooden Spoon and the Chopping Block. The instructors are amazing, I love the ambiance and of course, the cuisine!
9. If you had to eat just one meal for the rest of your life, what would it be?
Lasagna! Ricotta, noodles and a tasty meat sauce….yum!
10. Tell us about a memorable experience on the job at Chicago’s First Lady Cruises.
Our annual employee All-star program is always memorable. I enjoy everything from working with the directors during nominations to selecting the pins and delivering them to the dock. I remember creating personalized messages to go with each pin last year, and I was so excited! Our team works hard throughout the year, and recognizing them is a huge part of our job!
11. What is your favorite building on the tour, and why?